The Story of East Fremantle Tricolore Soccer Club Inc

East Fremantle Tricolore Soccer Club was formed in 1953 and became an incorporated body in 1964. Since the club was founded the Club has been a focal point for the local Italian community.

East Fremantle has catered for all age groups throughout its history, but for over thirty years the pride of Tricolore was its State League professional team. Between 1954 and 1987 the Club won nine State premierships and the natural amphitheatre at Wauhop Park saw crowds of up to 6,000 for games against archrivals Perth Azurri.

The Club built the Tricolore Community Centre in the 1970s which has been used as a community venue ever since.

In 1987 East Fremantle merged its professional arm with Perth Azurri to form Perth Italia, which subsequently changed its name to Perth Soccer Club. East Fremantle remained as a junior Club feeding talented youngsters into the merged Perth Italia, who went on to win four State premierships in five years. Perth Soccer Club went on to form the basis of Perth Glory, supplying the first coach, Gary Marocchi, and seven of the players in the inaugural squad.

In the meantime East Fremantle continued as a local community junior Club. However, without a professional team playing at Wauhop Park the fortunes of the junior Club floundered to the point where in 1994 East Fremantle could only field one junior team. At this time the Club was close to folding. Thanks to the efforts of a small group of people led by Rory MacTiernon, the Club turned around to the point where it has grown to become one of the largest soccer Clubs in Perth.

In 2002 the Club and the Town of East Fremantle made a significant investment in the facilities at Wauhop Park installing new floodlights and automatic reticulation across all playing areas to make the Wauhop Park facilities second to none.  The lighting was then upgraded in 2012.

Nowadays EFT boasts over 40 teams. East Fremantle is proud to be the most prominent women’s club in Perth. We have four senior women’s teams including a Premier League team and many junior girl’s teams. The Club also has social teams. In all East Fremantle has over 800 players.

The Club has grown to the point that our members can now be found playing over four venues on Sundays during the season. In 2003 we adopted Gilbert Fraser Reserve on John Street in North Fremantle as a second venue. With the large growth in numbers in 2005 we also adopted Bruce Lee Oval on South Street in Beaconsfield as home venue for our boys teams, and in 2012 we included Fremantle Park as a playing venue.